Martin Kaymer set for Masters glory?
New world number Martin Kaymer has enjoyed a meteoric rise to the top. He turned professional in 005 but only made his European tour debut in 2007, a year he was named Sir Henry Cotton rookie of the year. Within three years he had won his first major and, soon after turning 26, became world number one. German golf is no longer all about Bernhard Langer.
He secured his first notable win at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship in 2008, a tournament he has won twice since. That victory started a prolific run in tour events that he has maintained ever since – he has won four of the last 11 events he has entered and the golf betting suggests he can do well in the Masters.
Kaymer has missed the cut in all three of his Masters appearances, but that will not concern the unflappable German. He has finished sixth, eighth, seventh and first in his four efforts at majors that surrounded last year's Augusta disappointment, his calm play-off win at the PGA Championship proof that he could make good form at the big ones count.
Another excellent showing at the WGC-Accenture Matchplay at Dove Mountain, where he finished runner-up to the red-hot Luke Donald ensured his ascent to the top of the rankings, the ultimate reflection of his superb current form that has been maintained for some time.
He finished in the top 25 in 16 of the 22 European tour events he started last year and has made 58 cuts out of his last 71 attempts. Kaymer often puts himself in a decent leaderboard position in the latter stages of tournaments and it would be a major surprise if he is not in the hunt for the green jacket at Augusta.
Related Golf Betting News
Free Golf Betting tips and News articles from sportingways.com
- Stenson Ready to Build on "Dream" Season
- Tue 19 Nov 2013 14:21:00 GMT - Henrik Stenson ensured he finished 2013 as European No 1 with a comfortable six-shot victory in the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai..
- Top Debutant Preview
- Thu 15 April 2013 20:26:00 GMT - Experience is a key ingredient to success at the Masters. AugustaÂ’s nuances, difficulty, and intimidating atmosphere make it a tough place for rookies to thrive and a player..
- Augusta Masters Betting Tips
- Thu 04 April 2013 20:26:00 GMT - The first major golf event of the season gets underway later this month as the worldÂ’s elite descend on Augusta National for the 2013 Masters Tournament..
- Tiger has the Edge ahead of Masters
- Sun 17 February 2013 13:03:00 GMT - Tiger Woods has certainly taken a while to get back to the top of his game but the signs are looking good that the former world number one is ready to reclaim his place..
- Westwood Downplays Rory Rift
- Thu 20 September 2012 12:05:00 GMT - Ahead of the Ryder Cup, later this month, Lee Westwood has spoken out against speculation on Betfair that he and European team-mate, Rory McIlroy, do not get on..
- Side with South Africa in this week's World Cup
- Mon 21 November 2011 19:27:00 GMT - Ireland are the favourites at 4/1 to win the Golf World Cup which begins this Thursday in China. South Africa are second favourites as players from around the globe..
- President's Cup Prediction by Ian Hudson
- Mon 14 November 2011 20:50:00 GMT - The International Team can take advantage of playing on a familiar course by wining the 10th staging of the President's Cup this week. They have only won the..
- Australian Open Prediction by Ian Hudson
- Tue 08 November 2011 11:15:00 GMT - Tiger Woods is the second favourite to win the Australian Open beginning this Thursday as he begins a road trip that will culminate in the President's Cup next week..
- World Golf Championship HSB Champions betting preview by Ian Hudson
- Mon 31 October 2011 11:33:00 GMT - Rory McIlroy is as short as 5/1 to win the World Golf Championship HSB Champions which takes place this week at the Sheshan International Golf Club in Shanghai, China..
- Tour Championship betting preview by Golf expert Ian Hudson
- Tue 20 September 2011 09:28:00 GMT - Last year Jim Furyk holed a putt worth over 11 million dollars to win the Tour Championship and FedEx Cup Play-off series. That life changing event could well happen again to another player this week in the last event..
- Continental Europe look the punt for Vivendi Trophy
- Mon 12 September 2011 21:27:00 GMT - The Vivendi Trophy is played in memory of Severiano Ballesteros. It is played to honour the man who knew how to develop and support the spirit of match play golf and all forms of the game. The event takes place every two..
- Luke Donald well placed to win the FedEx Cup Play-Offs
- Tue 06 September 2011 17:49:00 GMT - Luke Donald is well placed to win the FedEx Cup Play-Offs on the US Tour after finishing joint third in the Deutsche Bank Championship, the second of four tournaments that make up the mega bucks schedule..
- Year in review - Rory McIlroy
- Fri 26 August 2011 14:23:00 GMT - It is ironic that when so many observers were troubled by Tiger Woods' dominance that there should be a push to anoint a new stand-out superstar. All sports need their special talents, and whilst Rory McIlroy..
- World Golf Championship Bridgestone Invitational Golf betting tips
- Mon 01 August 2011 11:45:00 GMT - Tiger Woods is in the field for the World Golf Championship Bridgestone Invitational. It will be interesting to see how the former world one handles the media frenzy that will be gathered to get a story about a player..
- Padraig Harrington the pick for Irish Open
- Mon 25 July 2011 19:57:00 GMT - Since 2007 Irish golfers have won six majors between them, an unprecedented number from countries of such small populations. Padraig Harrington was the first to win a major when he won the Open Championship in 2007..
- Players To Watch At The Open
- Thu 14 July 2011 12:53:00 GMT - Golfers are not created equal, Rory McIlroy, Lee Westwood, and Luke Donald are mentioned frequently with regard to victory at the British Open, while others, ranking in the high teens and low twenties, could..
- British Open betting Preview by Ian Hudson
- Mon 11 July 2011 18:35:00 GMT - Over the last 30 years 15 British Open champions have been winning a major for the first time. The theoretical odds of this happening at Sandwich can be generally expressed at even money based on this sample..
- Why it could be Jason's Day at the British open
- Mon 11 July 2011 18:35:00 GMT - However, there is one man beyond the main group that could be worth backing. He is by no means a rank outsider, but there could be good value for you if you back Australia's Jason Day for British Open glory...
- McDowell question's McIlroy's Open hopes
- Sat 09 July 2011 17:51:00 GMT - Graeme McDowell believes Rory McIlroy could struggle for focus when he makes his return at next week's Open Championship at Royal St George's..
- Donald set for Aussie Masters
- Fri 24 June 2011 10:24:00 GMT - Woods' returned to the tournament last year but will not making an appearance this time round meaning World Number One Donald is sure to be the star attraction this year's competition. Those looking at the 2011..
- Mickelson sets his sights on the US Open
- Thu 16 June 2011 11:46:00 GMT - Four-time Major Champion Phil Mickelson believes this will finally be the week he claims his first U.S. Open title after a series of near misses. Mickelson has previously won the Masters on three separate occasions ..